Our Birth Story
On Sunday, April 30 I started having contractions. They started to come less than five minutes apart around three in the morning on Monday. They originally started on Sunday around 10 am.
We called my doctor and his pager wasn't working! So, Matt called L&D at the hospital and they said to come in. We arrived and was eventually checked and found to be 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced. I was having some painful contractions from about 11:00 pm on Sunday until my admittance to my room at the hospital and I was ready for drugs.
I got my epidural around ten am but it didn't take on the left side so the anthesiologist had to repeat it. I was not thrilled! He gave me extra drugs with the second to ensure that I didn't feel anything on the left side but that kind of backfired because then I felt dizzy, gross and out of it. It also made me emotional and I was crying and had the sensation that it was hard to swallow. Eventually, it wore down and I felt better.
From then on things went pretty well. Matt and I were up all night the night before with the contractions and I tried to nap that day but wasn't able to. So, I went into the delivery pretty tired and very hungry!
I started to push around 8:30 pm and continued to do so until 11:38 pm when Asher was born. Three hours of pushing on no sleep or food was horrible! Honestly, labor was much harder than I ever imagined it would be. I always thought that I would get an epidural and then I would feel great and labor would be cake!
But! Halfway through delivery, my epidural wore off on my left side again and I wasn't prepared for that! It was an exhausting and stressful experience but as well all know, the end result is what matters most. On May 1st, Asher Matthew was born at 11:38 pm. He weighed 6 pounds and 10 ounces and was 21 inches long. I was so out of it when he was born but it was still memorable.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home